How to get PhD Candidature in Australia
This article will talk about pursing a PhD program in Australia with a focus on those residing foreign countries. Firstly, this article will address concerns about funding, visa entitlement, finding a supervisor and making a formal PhD application for Candidature in Australia. A PhD program commonly runs for at least 4 years full time.
PhD Scholarships in Australia
Accessing a stipend, funding or a scholarship in Australia is purely merit based. There is funding available for International students and faculty enrolled in a PhD program. Further, depending on the field there may also be private donor interest as well as extensive government funding support for the right candidate.
- Endeavour Scholarships are an international funding scheme provided by the Australian Government. They provide up to AUD $272,500 for up to four years of PhD research, including support for fees, maintenance and travel.
- Australian universities will often have their own funds available to international students and funded PhD places available for sufficiently promising students.
- Research training program funding is provided to international PhD students in Australia. Places are awarded by participating universities according to eligibility criteria set by the Government.
Applying for a PhD visa in Australia
A student visa for PhD candidature from the Australian Government is extremely generous as it allows the candidate to live, work and study for up to four years at a time, with a view on extension upon the request from the visa holder with support from the institution.
Criteria for PhD candidature in Australia
A PhD is the highest academic qualification one can hold in Australia, it’s extremely prestigious and is no easy feat. The formal requirements are set out below;
- A four year full time equivalent bachelors degree with a distinction average (75%); or
- A four year full time equivalent bachelors degree with first class honours; and
- A Masters degree program in a relevant field with a distinction average; and
- 5 years work experience within a relevant field; and
- several publications in a intentionally recognized scientific journal; and
- Several academic and professional references; and
- A supervisor whom is willing to participate in your academic and professional development and endorse your PhD Candidature.
Which Australian Universities offer a PhD program to international students?
Most, if not nearly all Universities that offer a PhD program to domestic students will offer them to an international student if they are satisfied with that the level of English spoken and academic requirements have been met.
Can I bring my spouse?
Yes you can bring a spouse.
Can I bring my children?
Yes you can bring your dependent children.
Can I bring my parents?
Yes, you may be able to sponsor your parents as visitors or tourists.
How many hours can I work whilst on a Student Visa for PhD Candidature?
Typically, as much as you require. We can work with your university to apply for an exemption to your visa to ensure that you can work more than 40 hours a week.
Can I stay in Australia after I graduate?
There are several options depending on if you wish to stay in academia, work in the Australian public service or pursue industry.
Applying for Australian Graduate Visa
You can apply for an Australian Graduate Visa when you are Conferred with your Phd.
Applying for Australian Skilled Sponsorship Visa
You may be eligible for skilled sponsorship.
Applying for Australian Skilled Migrant Visa
You may be eligible to apply for a skilled migrant visa.
Applying for Australian Permanent Residency
You may be eligible to apply for permanent residency.