Essential Steps to gain Australian Citizenship Now
As you can imagine, the easiest way to live in Australia is to obtain Australian citizenship. It is not a simple process, but neither is it impossible. To keep this in mind, we tell you everything you require to know about how to obtain Australian citizenship and the latest legislative changes you have in this regard.
Process to apply for Australian citizenship?
Australian citizenship can be requested if:
- You have been residing in Australia for at least 4 years.
- You are married or are a domestic partner of an Australian.
- You were born in Australia, even if your parents do not have citizenship.
- One of your parents is Australian.
- The normal thing is that you are (or expect to be) in the first point, but there is more.
Latest changes on obtaining Australian citizenship
However, in April 2017 the Government will support the requirements to obtain Australian citizenship. Before, it was only necessary to have lived in Australia with a permanent vision during the last 12 months before applying for citizenship. They demand a fairly high level of English. Previously they did not perform a language test, now they require a minimum of 7 in the IELTS. In the australian citizenship application this will go.
- You have to go through a “citizenship test “. In addition, it must be demonstrated that the community is being contributed by providing proof that the taxes have been paid, that the work has been done legally and continuously, or that the children have the Australian educational system.
In addition, they are stricter regarding criminal records. Now you can not get citizenship that has a history of domestic violence or links to organized crime.
You are now ready to send your request! When the immigration receives your request, it will send you a letter containing a number of information, including the details of a given appointment to verify your original documents and your identity in person but also to make you pass a citizenship test, or in some cases an interview. It will therefore be necessary to take care to bring your original documents with you. This appointment can last about 2 hours.
Parliament of Canberra
The test you will have to pass is designed to encourage you to learn more about life in Australia and what it means to be an Australian citizen. It consists of 5 parts:
Advantages of having Australian citizenship
- Therefore, you can enter and leave the country without problems. Work, access the public health or education service, vote, have consular support when you are abroad, etc.
- In addition, in Australia they accept dual citizenship. Therefore, it is also accepted, as in the case of Spain, you can have the nationality of Australia and the country without problems. The australian citizenship test is important here
Are you thinking of living in Australia? Then take the first step to establish yourself permanently in Australia with the student visa. Get in touch with us and ask us all your questions, we will accompany you and advise you so that you can make your personal project a reality. And if you want to continue receiving interesting information about Australia, do not forget to subscribe to our newsletter.